Understanding an Allergic Reaction to Incense

An allergic reaction to incense is very uncommon. Most people are aware of their specific allergies and tend to avoid any interaction with those substances. However, sometimes essential oils are mixed together and the complete contents of the incense may be unknown. In these cases, someone may unknowingly inhale the incense, causing an allergic reaction to the incense.

It is most common for an allergic reaction to incense to occur when the incense is in liquid form. This is usually caused by ingestion or even direct contact with the skin. However, it is possible to experience an allergic reaction to incense through inhalation alone.

What Happens When an Allergic Reaction to Incense Occurs?

An allergic reaction to incense can be mild, but can also be very dangerous. As with most allergic reactions, there is often a rash that occurs. A reaction to incense can cause a rash as well as blueness to the fingers. An allergic reaction to incense can also induce vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain. However, it is not recommended to induce vomiting when ingestion occurs.

Some of the more serious complications of an allergic reaction to incense include burns to the eye, blurred vision, and a burning feeling in the throat. It is also possible to experience a difficulty breathing from the incense inhalation. The most dangerous complications that can occur include seizures and even comas.

When someone is experiencing an allergic reaction to incense, it is important to seek medical help immediately. It is a good idea to call poison control if the situation does not seem life threatening. Otherwise, it is necessary to make a trip to the emergency room where an assessment can take place. Surprisingly, people often sniff or ingest liquid incense in order to feel the euphoria that can occur. While this is considered an overdose and not an allergic reaction to incense, it should also be treated immediately.

When an allergic reaction to incense occurs, it can be potentially serious and even life threatening. It is important to always be aware of surroundings and that includes smells that can permeate into the body through the olfactory nerve. Since inhalation immediately introduces the incense to the body, an allergic reaction can occur almost instantly. Whether the incense is liquid or inhaled, it is dangerous to those with allergies to the specific ingredients of the oils. It is best to avoid these at all costs. This does not mean that incense cannot be enjoyed, just that certain scents must be avoided.

Related Information and Products

Incense is aromatic biotic material that releases fragrant smoke when burned. The term refers to the material itself, rather than to the aroma that it produces. Incense is used for aesthetic reasons, and in therapy, meditation, and ceremony.It may also be used as a simple deodorant or insectifuge.
Incense - Wikipedia
History and Etymology for incense. Noun. Middle English encens, from Anglo-French, from Late Latin incensum, from Latin, neuter of incensus, past participle of incendere to set on fire, from in-+ -cendere to burn; akin to Latin candēre to glow — more at candid. Verb (2) Middle English encensen, probably from Latin incensus, past participle of incendere to set on fire, provoke
Incense | Definition of Incense by Merriam-Webster
We would like to show you a description here but the site won’t allow us.